Burkina coup plotters abandon barracks after army assault

Burkinabe gendarmes patrol near the Presidental Security Regiment military barracks on September 29, 2015 in OuagadougouSoldiers who staged a short-lived coup in Burkina Faso abandoned their barracks in the capital late Tuesday after a tense standoff with loyalist troops, the military said, as authorities battled to regain control of the crisis-hit country. Coup leader General Gilbert Diendere told AFP he feared there had been many deaths from the assault on the sprawling military base, which is next to the presidential palace in Ouagadougou. The army launched an assault on the barracks of the elite presidential guard (RSP) after the putschists, who support deposed leader Blaise Compaore, refused to give up their weapons in line with a peace deal mediated by regional powers.

Share this article