Egypt refers scores to trial over murder of prosecutor

Members of the Egyptian security forces stand guard at the site of a bomb that targeted the convoy of the Egyptian state prosecutor Hisham Barakat in capital Cairo on June 29, 2015Egypt’s state prosecutor on Sunday referred 67 people to trial over the assassination of a top prosecutor, a statement said, after authorities accused Hamas and the Muslim Brotherhood of involvement. Hisham Barakat, 64, was killed when a car bomb struck his convoy in the upscale east Cairo district of Heliopolis on June 29 last year. Sunday’s statement said an investigation showed that the accused were members of the outlawed Muslim Brotherhood who “conspired” with militants of the Gaza-based Islamist Palestinian group Hamas.

Share this article