FARC says to free captured Colombian soldier

Commanders of the FARC-EP leftist guerrillas (L-R) Ivan Marquez, Rodrigo Granda, Pastor Alape and Pablo Catatumbo arrive at the Convention Palace in Havana, on November 18, 2014Colombia’s FARC guerrillas on Thursday announced that they would release a soldier they captured last week “in the coming days,” calling the move a humanitarian gesture. The decision came in the wake of a unilateral ceasefire the leftist rebels began Saturday during peace negotiations to end Latin America’s longest-running insurgency after more than 50 years. “Today we have launched a special humanitarian protocol for the release of Carlos Becerra Ojeda, a professional soldier captured in combat on December 19 in (southwestern) Cauca department,” the FARC peace delegation said in a statement released in Havana, where negotiations to end the conflict are taking place. The guerrillas called the release a “new peace gesture of the FARC, a humanitarian act, considering that the soldier was slightly wounded during combat”.

Share this article