Fight for Ramadi essentially on 'pause': US official

Iraqi security forces and paramilitaries deploy, on May 26, 2015, in al-Nibaie area, north-west of Baghdad, during an operation aimed at cutting off Islamic State jihadists in Anbar provinceThe fight to retake Ramadi from Islamic State jihadists has been on an “operational pause” and Iraqi troops weren’t trained to deal with the group’s battlefield techniques, a US official said Thursday. US military spokesman Colonel Steve Warren, speaking via video from Baghdad, told reporters that the effort had been delayed in part because of record summer temperatures but also because of the way IS fighters had defended the city, which they seized in mid-May. Iraq had planned to quickly retake Ramadi, but Warren acknowledged the fight had been tough.

Share this article