France to free Rwandan genocide suspect

Claude Muhayimana (C), one of the two Rwandan men accused of taking part in the massacre of ethnic Tutsis during the Rwandan genocide, arrives for an extradition hearing at the courthouse in Paris, on November 13, 2013France will release a man accused of involvement in the 1994 Rwanda massacre after the Paris appeal court ruled in his favour on Friday, his lawyer said. Claude Muhayimana, who obtained French nationality in 2010, was arrested a year ago in the northern city of Rouen. “He will be freed in the middle of next week,” his lawyer Philippe Meilhac said. Muhayimana had been placed under investigation for genocide and crimes against humanity following a complaint from the CPCR, an organisation that tracks suspects in the genocide in which around 800,000 people — mostly members of the minority Tutsi community — were killed in a 100-day orgy of violence, largely by Hutus.

Share this article