Key Syria opponent says no to Moscow talks with regime

Syrian opposition chief Ahmed Moaz al-Khatib gives a press conference in Paris, on November 17, 2012A key Syrian opposition official said in a statement on Friday that he has declined an invitation to take part in a Russian-led bid for new talks to end the conflict. Moaz al-Khatib, ex-leader of the main opposition Syrian National Coalition, who recently established his own dissident movement, had visited Russia last year for discussions. Khatib also cited the regime’s ongoing shelling of opposition-held areas in Syria as a reason for his refusal to attend the Moscow talks slated for later this month. “I received a written invitation from the Russian leadership to meet with several Syrian personalities in Moscow this month, and after consultation with the gathering I work with, I decided to decline,” said Khatib.

Share this article