Palestinians say Gaza truce talks in Cairo postponed

A Palestinian boy runs in front of a destroyed building in Gaza City's al-Shejaiya neighborhood on October 21, 2014Israeli-Palestinian talks on a lasting Gaza truce are to resume after mid-November, instead of Monday as initially planned, the chief Palestinian negotiator Azzam al-Ahmad told AFP Sunday. The announcement came after other Palestinian officials said the talks had been postponed due to Egypt’s closure of the Rafah border crossing with the Gaza Strip. Egypt closed Rafah, the only crossing into Gaza not controlled by Israel, after a bomb attack by a suspected jihadist on its troops in the Sinai Peninsula on Friday killed 30 soldiers. Egypt also imposed a state of emergency on parts of the Sinai, which also borders Israel.

Share this article