Quebec police put on leave over aboriginal sex assault claims

Federal police have counted about 1,200 unsolved cases of missing or killed aboriginal women between 1980 and 2012 in Canada, and native leaders and activists have been calling for an inquiry for more than a decadeEight Canadian police officers suspected of sexually assaulting and beating aboriginal women have been put on leave or transferred to administrative duty, officials in Quebec province said Friday. The officers had previously remained on duty despite the allegations, which were first made in May. Quebec’s Public Safety Minister Lise Theriault said she was “shaken” by the “troubling, shocking and unacceptable” facts, the details of which were made public Thursday in an investigation by broadcaster Radio-Canada.

Share this article