Thousands receiving aid after Boko Haram siege: relief agency

A screengrab taken on July 13, 2014 from a video released by the Nigerian Islamist extremist group Boko Haram shows Abubakar Shekau (C), the group's leaderNearly 11,500 people from one town in northeast Nigeria are receiving emergency aid after fleeing Boko Haram militants, the country’s main relief agency said on Thursday. The National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) said 11,442 men, women and children from Gwoza in Borno state had been registered at two facilities for displaced people in neighbouring Adamawa state. The Islamists took over Gwoza, which lies near the border with Cameroon, on August 7 and NEMA said the town was “still under siege”. NEMA had said the insecurity had prevented teams from getting to the displaced.

Share this article