Uighurs deny Bangkok bombing, lawyer says confession forced

Suspects in the August 17, 2015 Erawan shrine bombing identified as Adem Karadag (C) and Yusufu Mieraili (back, R) arrive at a military court in Bangkok, on February 16, 2016Two Chinese Uighurs Tuesday denied involvement in a deadly shrine bombing in the Thai capital, and a lawyer said one had been beaten up and threatened with deportation to force an earlier confession. Investigators had also compelled Bilal Mohammed to dress up and wear a wig so he resembled a CCTV image of the prime suspect in the blast, according to a statement issued on his behalf. Mohammed, also known as Adem Karadag, and Yusufu Mieraili arrived barefoot, handcuffed and shackled at their plea hearing in a military court.

Share this article