US Navy investigating soldier who claimed to have shot Bin Laden

Retired Navy Seal Rob O'Neill (with hat) sits in the owners box during the Washington Redskins vs Tampa Bay Buccaneers game at FedExField on November 16, 2014 in Landover, MarylandThe former US Navy Seal who claims to be the soldier who fired the shots that killed Osama Bin Laden is being investigated for possibly leaking classified information, the US military confirmed. US Navy spokesman Ryan Perry said investigators were probing claims that Rob O’Neill had broken the law by disclosing details about the daring 2011 raid that ended a 10-year manhunt for Bin Laden. “The Naval Criminal Investigative Service (NCIS) is in receipt of an allegation that Mr O’Neill may have revealed classified information to persons not authorized to receive such information,” Perry said in an email to AFP. O’Neill, 38, ignited a firestorm of controversy last month after coming forward to claim that he was the man who shot Bin Laden through the forehead at his hideout in Abbottabad three years ago.

Share this article