US officials search for missed red flags ahead of shootings

A garage door of Enrique Marquez's home is seen broken in a recent FBI raid, Wednesday, Dec. 9, 2015, in Riverside, Calif. Authorities have said Enrique Marquez, an old friend of San Bernardino attacker Syed Farook, purchased two assault rifles used in last week's fatal shooting that killed 14 people. (AP Photo/Jae C. Hong)WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. government appears not to have picked up on extremist messages exchanged during the online courtship two years ago between the American-born man accused in the California shootings and his then-fiancée in Pakistan, federal officials told Congress during closed-door briefings on Capitol Hill on Thursday.

Share this article