US to send 6 Guantanamo detainees to Uruguay: official

The United States plans to transfer six Guantanamo detainees to Uruguay early next month, an Obama administration official said Wednesday. Uruguayan President Jose Mujica told AFP in an interview last week that his country was prepared to take in the six detainees without preconditions and that they would be free men who could work and travel. Pentagon chief Chuck Hagel has informed US lawmakers about the transfer of six detainees who are among those already cleared for transfer, an official in President Barack Obama’s administration said on condition of anonymity. Of the 149 men still held at the US Navy detention facility at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, 72 have been cleared for transfer as they are not considered a threat to the United States.

Share this article